- This event has passed.
2021 SpringBoard Virtual Conference
March 19 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT
Hosted by SC Women in Leadership
with the support from
The annual SpringBoard Virtual Conference helps women gain the confidence and knowledge to step forward and seek positions on local and statewide appointed boards and commissions that best suit their experience and interests.
For questions or to inquire about scholarships supported by Bank of America, contact us at email@example.com.
Keynote: Calandra Walker Jarrell, Diversity & Inclusion Executive, Global Human Resources, Bank of America
Fireside chat with Ms. Jarrell on the importance of increasing racial and gender representation in leadership and encouraging women to lead from the ground up. Participants will have the opportunity to submit questions for Ms. Jarrell.
Why Do Appointed Boards & Commissions Matter?
Alexis Hermosillo, All in Together West Regional Fellow and Mayor, El Mirage, AZ
Priya Elangovan, Manager of Program Operations, All in Together
In this interactive virtual workshop, you will learn about local boards and commissions as a tool to become a local leader and create positive change in your community, how they have a direct impact on our everyday lives, and understand the responsibilities associated with serving.
During the workshop we will:
- Identify the different types of local boards and commissions and their roles
- Share general requirements and expectations when joining a local board or commission
- Discuss examples and experiences working as a member of a local board or commission
11:45am – Break
- Remarks on confidence by Sara Goldsby, Director, DAODAS
- “Table” Breakout Activity – participants will be divided into breakout session “tables” of 10 to complete an activity to foster networking in a virtual environment.
12:30pm – Break
12:45pm – Skill-Building Mini-Sessions (15 minutes each + 5 min Q&A)
- Finding a Board the Suits Your Skills & Interests
- Presenter: Emily Bowerman, SC WIL Governmental Appointment Project Coordinator
- Networking and References – How to submit a strong application and follow-up. (PERSISTENCE!)
- Presenter: Gretchen Barron, Richland County Council District 7
- Understanding Board Process – How boards function, who they answer to, what it means to be on a board, etc.
- Presenter: Tiffany Albert, CAP-OM, Municipal Clerk, City of Greenwood, SC
1:45-2:30pm – Getting Appointed to Office in South Carolina Panel Discussion
Moderator: Jean Sinzdak, Associate Director, Center for American Women and Politics
- Suzanne Burckhalter, Berkley County Clerk
- Connie Portee, Orangeburg County Clerk
- Debbie Summers, Lexington County Council District 4
2:30-3pm – Closing Session
MatchBoard Unveiling presented by SC Women in Leadership
- Anna Berger, Chief Operating Officer, SC Association of Counties
- Erika Hammond, City Clerk, Columbia, SC
- Stephanie O’Cain, Founder, SC Women in Leadership
Prototype demonstration of MatchBoard application allowing cities and counties to manage, and the public to access, positions on public boards and commissions.