- This event has passed.
Good Governance Symposium Series- Session I: Voting Rights
March 1, 2021 @ 6:00 pm
As our nation sees unprecedented levels of partisanship division, now more than ever, thoughtful non-partisan discussion of public policy issues and topics is essential. It is a role the League of Women Voters is both committed to and well positioned to execute. This series will promote education and awareness relating to critical good government issues that impact national, state and local governance through five sessions.
Session I: Voting Rights
This important first session will lay the stage for our entire series. We will explore the history of the Voting Rights Act, attempts to dismantle the legislation, including the impacts of Shelby County v. Holder (2013), recent voting restrictions and solutions to move forward and ensure every person has a voice.
Keynote: Leah Aden, Deputy Director of Litigation at the NAACP Legal Defense & Education Fund (LDF)
- Susan Dunn, Executive Director, ACLU of South Carolina
- Lynn Teague, Vice President of Issues and Action, League of Women Voters South Carolina
- If you have 3-5 minutes:
- Voting Laws Roundup 2021 (Brennan Center for Justice)
- Literacy Tests from Alabama (parts A, B & C), Louisiana & Mississippi (Civil Rights Movement Archive)
- Summary: H.R. 1 For the People Act (League of Women Voters)
- Leadership Conference’s HR 1 Letter of Support
- If you have 30 minutes:
- A Dream Undone (New York Times Magazine)
- If you have an evening to watch:
- All In: Fight for Our Democracy (Amazon Prime)
- If you have a week or month for a good book:
- Give Us The Ballot (Ari Berman)