- This event has passed.
Draft Annual SpringBoard Conference
May 17 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
May 17, 2022
1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Columbia Museum of Art
1515 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201
with support from
The third annual SpringBoard Conference will help South Carolina women gain the confidence and knowledge to seek positions of power and influence on appointed boards and commissions. Learn the important role boards and commissions play in our government, how the decisions they make directly impact our everyday lives, and understand the responsibilities associated with serving.
We’ll help you find the right board for your interests and experience, submit, and follow-up on your application.
The event will be offered both in-person and virtually.
In-person – $35 (through April 30, $40 beginning May 1)
Virtual – $20
Questions? or to inquire about scholarships supported by Bank of America contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Registration
1:15 p.m. – Why Do Appointed Boards & Commissions Matter?
Learn how boards and commissions fit into the process of governance, how they have a direct impact on our everyday lives, and understand the responsibilities associated with serving.
- Emily Farr, Director, South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- Kim Jamieson Crafton, Director, Marketing and Air Service Development, Columbia Airport
- Mary Beth Sims Branham, Architect and Member, Design/Development Review Commission (DDRC)
- Tina Stevens, Small Business Regulatory Review Committee
2:00 p.m. – Skill-Building Mini-Sessions (15 minutes each + 5 min Q&A)
- Finding a Board the Suits Your Skills & Interests – This session will focus on the appointments process, including the types of seats to consider and how to build and leverage your qualifications and experience for an appointment. Presented by Chris Storey, City of Spartanburg City Manager and Meghan Smith, Spartanburg City Council, District 1.
- Networking and References – How to submit a strong application and follow-up. (PERSISTENCE!) Presented by Kristen Salisbury, Charleston County Clerk to Council and Kristen Wurster, Charleston County Deputy Clerk to Council.
- Understanding Board Process – How boards function, who they answer to, the different types of boards and your responsibilities as a board member. Presenter TBD!
3:00 p.m. – How Do I Level Up? Panel Discussion
Learn about opportunities to grow in your board service including state and federal boards from women currently serving.
- Dee Bell Williams, Council Member, Richland County Community Relations
- Jennifer Clyburn Reed, Federal Co-Chair, Southeast Crescent Regional Commission
- Robin Price, Board of Commissioners Member, South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind
3:45 p.m. – Politics of the Process Panel Discussion
We’ll discuss how politics plays into board appointments and how to navigate the process.
4:30 p.m. – Closing Session – MatchBoard Demonstration presented by SC WIL
Moderator: Emily Bowerman, MatchBoard Director, SC Women in Leadership with Sarah Brock, Beaufort County Clerk to Council
Learn how the innovative new MatchBoard app developed by SC WIL can help you find and apply for boards in your area.
5:00 p.m. – Call to Action + Send-Off
*Check back soon for presenter information and bios.
Information about last year’s virtual conference can be found at this link.