- This event has passed.
Annual SpringBoard Conference
May 17, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Session replays now available! Click on the title of each session to watch recordings from the event.
May 17, 2022
1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Columbia Museum of Art
1515 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201
with support from
The third annual SpringBoard Conference will help South Carolina women gain the confidence and knowledge to seek positions of power and influence on appointed boards and commissions. Learn the important role boards and commissions play in our government, how the decisions they make directly impact our everyday lives, and understand the responsibilities associated with serving.
We’ll help you find the right board for your interests and experience, submit, and follow-up on your application.
The event will be offered both in-person and virtually.
In-person – $40
Virtual – $20
Questions? or to inquire about scholarships supported by Bank of America contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Registration
1:15 p.m. – Why Do Appointed Boards & Commissions Matter?
Learn how boards and commissions fit into the process of governance, how they have a direct impact on our everyday lives, and understand the responsibilities associated with serving.
- Emily Farr, Director, South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- Kim Jamieson Crafton, Director, Marketing and Air Service Development, Columbia Airport
- Mary Beth Sims Branham, Architect and Member, Design/Development Review Commission (DDRC)
- Tina Stevens, Small Business Regulatory Review Committee
2:00 p.m. – Networking Connect 4
2:20 p.m. – Skill-Building Mini-Sessions (15 minutes each + 5 min Q&A)
- Networking and References – How to submit a strong application and follow-up. (PERSISTENCE!) Presented by Kristen Salisbury, Charleston County Clerk to Council and Kristen Wurster, Charleston County Deputy Clerk to Council.
- Understanding Board Process – How boards function, who they answer to, the different types of boards and your responsibilities as a board member. Presented by Connie Portee, Clerk to Orangeburg County Council
3:00 p.m. – How Do I Level Up? Panel Discussion
Learn about opportunities to grow in your board service including state and federal boards from women currently serving.
- Dee Bell Williams, Council Member, Richland County Community Relations
- Jennifer Clyburn Reed, Federal Co-Chair, Southeast Crescent Regional Commission
- Robin Price, Board of Commissioners Member, South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind
3:45 p.m. – Politics of the Process Panel Discussion
We’ll discuss how politics plays into board appointments and how to navigate the process.
- Anna Berger, Sr. Director of Operations, SC Association of Counties
- Former Representative Mandy Powers Norrell, South Carolina House District 44, Lancaster (2013-2019)
- Debbie Summers, Council Member District 4, Lexington County Council
Moderator: Emily Bowerman, MatchBoard Director, SC Women in Leadership with Sarah Brock, Beaufort County Clerk to Council
Learn how to find and apply for open seats on boards & commissions in your area using SC WIL’s database and the innovative new MatchBoard app.
5:00 p.m. – Call to Action + Send-Off
*Check back for presenter/panelist updates.
Join us after SpringBoard for Leading Ladies Night Out. Relax and celebrate our learnings with old friends and new.
Information about last year’s virtual conference can be found at this link.